Is it safe to save the date?

With less than a year to go until our wedding I have a slight panic in the back of my mind. Although we have put down a deposit on our dream venue – Skylark Golf and Country Club, the date is not 100% confirmed… let me explain.

Skylark comprises of a beautiful golf club set on rolling hills with a stunning bar and restaurant area for the reception to be held in. The ceremony however, will be held in their restored barn, beside the golf club – my dream kind of venue!

Although they advertise to hold weddings, and they have held them in the past, it wasn’t until we actually spoke to our wedding planner Nicola that we found out they don’t yet have the appropriate licence.

You see, the club has recently been taken over by new owners. The previous owners, much to my distaste, used the beautiful barn as a gym! What a waste right!? Anyway, the new owners took down the boards covering the beams and decided to use it for a much more appropriate use – weddings!

The process of getting the change of usage license however was quite lengthy and wasn’t made any easier by the person who was dealing with the change, leaving.

We paid our deposit with the agreement that if the license wasn’t through by September, we would be entitled to a refund of the deposit. Ofcourse we could still hold a blessing in the barn, which is what the previous weddings were, but this would mean doing all of the official stuff before hand. This wouldn’t really be a problem, just a bit more planning and probably a bit more money.

I was happy to wait until September to find out, but it’s started to creep up on me. We can’t book a registrar until they have the license. Registrars can get snapped up pretty quickly. We also don’t want to book anything else too solid like photographers, entertainments etc incase we can’t get a registrar for that day and have to change the date.

If we can’t get a registrar then will we be entitled to a refund or to change the date? and will a new date even be available there?

I’ve had a bit of a battle in my mind about all of this. Maybe it’s a good thing if they can’t get it, as I could try for my other dream idea of a marquee wedding. I even went as far as emailing a few other barn venues and marquee companies just incase.

Luckily though, Nicola emailed me last week to let me know that the license had been approved and they should have the solid confirmation – a few days ago actually… don’t panic Jessica!

We have our save the date cards, sent to us by the wonderful Paper Themes who sent me a load of samples months back to review. The date is printed on all of them – 18th July 2015 – please don’t make me change it!Screen Shot 2014-08-22 at 14.13.12

I guess we’ll just wait and see what Nicola says re the license and then we’ll go from there with registrar bookings or mad panics and rebookings!

Suggestions for calming a potential bridezilla please!?

Thanks for reading 🙂

xxx

Leave a Reply

Hi I’m Jess, a parenting, lifestyle and travel blogger. I write about all things minimalism, mum life, fitness and travel with a heap of positivity!

Categories