I think every mummy I’ve spoken to has said that they either packed too much or not enough when they went into labour. Some even did both, they had a full up hospital bag but were missing some key essentials. I mean, it’s a woman thing right? Overweight suitcases on holiday, heavy handbags that leave dents on our shoulders, all the while were saying ‘oh I left my coral lipstick at home’.
Packing just seems to be one of those things that as women we can’t get right and I’m sorry if you’re one of those freaks who packs a perfect case but I challenge anyone who tells me they used everything they packed with nothing to spare and nothing left wanting for!
So the same went for me and my hospital bag. Pre labour I didn’t use anything at all. I think Pete used his snacks and energy drinks but I literally just laid on the bed and complained lol
I was really lucky to receive a hospital starter kit from Lily and Me which meant that I didn’t need to pack too much of my own stuff. You can see here a breakdown of what I packed in a previous post:
What I needed:
- Maternity notes – we forgot them when we first went in but luckily brought them the second time around!
- Body towel for my first shower in hospital
- Slippers as I walked around a bit after labour and wanted to keep my feet clean
- Plain black pants – I got them in a size bigger than I was pre-pregnancy which fitted perfectly with maternity pads in
- 2 vests – one for each day that I was there, both loose so I could try to feed easily
- Pj bottoms that I wore my first day and slept in
- Joggers and a t-shirt to wear home
- Charger – as I took so many photos that my battery died very quickly!
- Flannel, body wash, moisturiser, face wash, deodorant, face wipes, toothbrush and toothpaste – all to freshen up after labour
- Lip balm to keep my lips from chapping – I think I needed this during labour
- Maternity pads – no need to explain!
- Hair brush and one hairband – it was just easier to tie it back and keep it off my face once I’d given birth
What I didn’t need:
- Pillow – there were plenty on the hospital bed already
- Socks – I prefer to keep my feet cool
- Nightie – I just slept in the vest I put on after my shower
- Disposable pants – I used the plain black ones my mum brought me
- Hair grips – My hair’s long enough to be able to tie it all up without grips
- Shampoo & Conditioner – I did shower but waited till I was home to wash my hair
- Breast pads – my boobs didn’t start leaking until day 3 or 4 at home
- Mirror – how I looked was the last thing on my mind lol
What I wish I’d brought:
- A book as Rabbit slept so much I got rather bored
- Movies – Pete left me his laptop but didn’t have a great selection of movies so I’d have liked another one
What I’m glad I didn’t bother bringing:
- Essential oils – I wouldn’t have wanted anyone touching me during labour
- Water spray – I didn’t feel too hot during labour, in fact I kept my long sleeved top on and my hair down the whole time!
- Microwaveable hottie – My back didn’t hurt so I didn’t need it
- Make up – last thing on my mind!
Most of what I packed I ended up using after labour or once I got home, as during labour all I wanted was water and pain relief! I don’t think I did too bad with my packing, there was nothing that I desperately needed or saw as a complete waste to bring. I knew that Pete could have popped home to grab anything we missed but it was really nice to be able to say /no, I’ve got everything thanks’.
What did you wish you’d brought to hospital or wish you’d left at home?
Thanks for reading